Registering a death

Information about how and when to register a death.

An Open Book

Where and when you can register a death

You will need to make an appointment to register a death in the district where the person died.  You should register a death within five days.  This period can be extended by the registrar or if the Coroner's Service is involved.

You can make an appointment as soon as you have the medical certificate of cause of death.  You will need to  bring this with you to your appointment.

Please contact our registration service to make an appointment.   

Appointments outside normal office hours can sometimes be arranged

If you can't visit one of our Barnsley offices you can arrange to register the death at any other register office in England and Wales. The same information must be provided and you'll be asked to sign a  declaration.  This declaration will be posted to the Barnsley register office.

Who can register a death

Normally the relatives of the person who has died register the death, but others can also do this when there are no relatives.

These can be:

  • a person present at the death
  • a person arranging the funeral (not the undertaker)
  • in certain circumstances others, such as the administrator or the occupier of the place where the death took place.

The information you will need to bring with you

Please bring the following information with you to your appointment:

  • the date and place of death
  • the full name and surname of the deceased (and maiden name where appropriate)
  • the date and place of birth of the deceased, occupation and the full names and occupation of her husband if the deceased was a married woman or widow
  • the deceased's usual address
  • if the deceased was married or in a civil partnership, the date of birth of the spouse or civil partner
  • whether the deceased received a pension or allowance from public funds for example: civil service or army pension

Although not essential, it would also be useful if you could bring: 

  • copies of the deceased's birth and marriage certificates
  • the National Health Service number or the medical card

It usually takes about 30 minutes for us to complete the paperwork.

What you will receive from the registrar

When you register a death we will provide you with:

  • A green form.  This form should be taken to the funeral director to enable the funeral to be arranged.  In some circumstances the Coroner's Service will need to give you a green form.
  • A registration or notification of death form. This is for the Department for Work and Pensions and you should fill in your part and send it to them as soon as you can.

Banks, building societies and solicitors will need an original copy of a death certificate. We can issue you with a death certificate as a certified copy of the information held in the register.  There is a charge for death certificates

Tell us Once

We are using the Department for Work and Pensions 'Tell us Once' service to make it easier for you to tell us that someone has died.

When you register a death, we'll give you more information about Tell us Once and how you can use it.  We will also give you a reference number. You'll need to use the number when you contact the Department for Work and Pensions to access the Tell us Once service.

When a deceased person is to be taken out of England or Wales

If you are taking the deceased person out of England and Wales you'll need to notify the coroner for the area where the body is lying. There are no restrictions on the removal of bodies within England and Wales but notice is necessary where the removal is to Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands, as well as abroad.

You can get a form or notice from a registrar or a coroner. Any certificate for burial or cremation already issued by the registrar or the coroner must be given to the coroner with the notice. The coroner will say when the removal of the body may take place. This will normally be after four clear days from when the coroner received notice but, if it is urgent, the person giving notice should speak to the coroner, since it may be possible to allow the removal sooner.



SOCITM Visit Counter