Passport to leisure
Passport to Leisure is a concessionary scheme that allows eligible groups of Barnsley residents to access discounted sport and leisure activities in Barnsley, Doncaster, Rotherham, Sheffield and Wakefield.
You can apply for a card if you live in Barnsley and can provide evidence to show that you belong to one of the following groups:
- you receive JSA, incapacity benefit, ESA, income support, working tax credit, housing or council tax benefit, or carers allowance
Proof: benefit notification letter*, housing/council tax notification*, NHS tax credit exemption certificate* or bank statement**
- you're an unemployed adult dependant of the above
Proof: benefit notification letter* showing an increase in benefit for a dependant
- you're a dependant junior of the above (aged 3-15)
- Proof of parent or guardian's eligibility*
- you're a disabled adult or junior (a carer card is available but can only be used when a carer is assisting the disabled person)
Proof of disability benefit*
- you're 16-17 years of age or 60+
Proof: document showing proof of age
- you're a full time student aged 18+
Proof: letter from college, student travel pass, student financial notification
- you're on a training scheme (non-waged)
Proof: letter from training agent or tutor
* Dated within the last 12 months
** Dated within the last 6 months
How to apply for a Passport to Leisure card
Complete our online application form or visit one of the following centres, where you'll be able to fill in a form.
- Metrodome Leisure Complex
- Dearneside Leisure Centre
- Hoyland Leisure Centre
- Royston Leisure Centre
- Dorothy Hyman Sports Centre
- Hillies Pavilion Golf Course
- Barnsley Council Libraries(except Priory and Sunnybank Early Years)
Whether you apply online or in person, you'll need to take the following along to one of the centres:
- required evidence of eligibility
- a recent passport sized photograph which is a good likeness
- appropriate fee (cash only)
The cost of a new, replacement, or carer card (if you're eligible) is £2. The card will last for one year from the date you receive it.
Where you can use your Passport to Leisure
Check our map to find out where discounts are available to Passport to Leisure card holders.
Discounts are also available for various festivals and events organised by Barnsley Council. For further details visit Barnsley Live.
To benefit from your discount, simply present your card every time you pay for an activity or event at any participating location.
Full details can be found in the Passport to Leisure information booklet.