Healthier ways to travel
Simple and quick choices that will help you make your commuting or leisure journeys healthier, cheaper and more environmentally friendly.
You can download a cycling and walking map:
Look at our Sustainable school travel page where you will find more maps and guides on cycling and walking or download our Barnsley cycle boost poster.
Benefits of cycling and walking
- lower cost alternatives to the car for many short trips
- reduces obesity and achieves a healthy weight
- quick and easy ways for most of us to get more physically active
- improves mental well-being
- creates safer communities with more pleasant streets
- improves air quality and lowers carbon emissions
- reduces congestion
In the last 30 years levels of cycling and walking in England have dropped by large amounts. We have some of the lowest rates of cycling and walking in Europe. Conditions such as obesity and diabetes, along with heart and respiratory problems affect more of us.
Increasing physical activity across our communities and promoting healthier ways to travel can help to reverse this.
What can I do?
Have a look at the NHS's health and fitness section of their website and involve your family with 10 ways to get active with your kids.
Thousands of people have already made a Change4Life and more are joining in every day.
Get more information about healthier travel