Permission for events like demonstrations and parades
Find out about the permission you need to close a road for an event like a demonstration, parade or street party.
If you're thinking about organising an event like a:
- street party
- military gathering
- street market
We'll need at least six weeks' notice and you'll need to think about the following before getting started:
- Can your event be held somewhere away from the road?
- Can it be held at a time when traffic flows are lower?
- Does the whole road need to be closed or just part of it?
- Can traffic flow and access continue?
- Have you consulted all residents and businesses who will be affected by the road closure - any valid objections we receive to your planned event might mean that we can't agree to the road closure going ahead.
You'll also need:
- public liability insurance to the value of £10million - as organiser you are responsible for the safety of the event and road closure
- permission from the police
- our permission
- a legal order to temporarily close the road
- signs and barriers to warn road users of the closure and give alternative routes - you can get these from a traffic managemenet contractor and you'll find more information on this in our information sheet below.
Apply for permission by:
We'll try to complete your application in six weeks from the date we receive it.
You can find more information and legislation in the following: